Monday 9 April 2012

Coffee - Blackburn, Tanzania

This month's instalment from Square Mile. And it's their 4th birthday today. Easter Monday. Happy birthday. Anyway...

This time, according to the literature,  it's a bit of an experimental vibe from Michael Gerhrken in Tanzania. Using Kent and Bourbon beans and a natural process (i.e. not washing them - n.b. I'm yet to figure out exactly what the whole process thing is about but as I'm of an enquiring mind I'll do some reading up on the subject - it's mainly booze based drinks I work in and so getting the monthly subscriptions to Square Mile has really opened up the realm of new flavour possibilities in coffee - for which I am very thankful). The family live on the estate, which borders the Ngorongoro National Park. They work with the environment, allowing elephants and buffalos to pass through, and carrying out minimal and controlled intervention, such as little use of insecticide.

This is quite a pungent coffee, especially compared to last month's sample. On the grind it's really meaty, giving out quite strong beef stock, gravy/bovril aromas. The aromas on the brew follow, being earthy and dark. A little stalky and slightly wet. It's very clean though. Fresh with a lot of depth and a oily texture. A bit nutty with a cram of chocolate at the end. I'm not sure I get the ripe peaches and sweet pineapple (ok maybe a subtle hint of that pineapple) but I do have a slight cold. Perhaps not my favourite one so far but one that is properly enjoyable and with a little more going on than at first meets the eye (or mouth).

Good work Square Mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment